The annual Report 2015-16 of the Office of Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks has been published. Some noticeable points are as follows:-
- 10% increase in patent filing compared to 2014-15. Total filing in 2015-16 being 40,946. 8% filings have increased by Indian applicants, and approximately 10% by foreign residents.
- 52.80% increase in disposal of applications compared to 2014-15. 21987 applications disposed of, which includes 6326 grants, 13908 applications abandoned, 432 applications withdrawn , and 1321 applications refused. See Detail here.
- Top 5 Indian Patentees Include:- CSIR, Samsung R&D Institute India, BHEL, DRDO.
- Top foreign Patentees include:- GM Global Technology operations, Qualcomm incorporated, LG electronics Inc., Philips electronics N.V., Honda Motor Co. Ltd.
- 290 pre grant oppositions were filed in 2015-16. This number is slightly higher compared to 247 which were filed in 2014-15. 88 were disposed off in 2015-16.
- 6 post grant oppositions were filed in 2015-16. 10 were disposed of in 2015-16.